Friday 25 October 2013

Vampire Diaries



So, I was asked if I could make a Vampire Diaries cake for someones birthday. I have never watched or read it myself, so the first thing I did was get on Google to see what I could find.

I was told to make the cake however I wanted as long as it was Vampire Diaries themed, so I decided to go with a closed book cake and do the front cover of Shadow Souls as this seemed to be the easiest.

I made the key out of fondant and sprayed it with edible silver spray the day before I made the cake.

I baked a deep sheet cake, and cut it to size, put white fondant around 3 edges for the pages then covered the rest of the cake in black fondant.

I then hand painted the writing with royal icing and a paint brush. I was going to do all of the writing that is on the book cover, but once I put the key on I thought it would over crowd it, so I decided to just do the Vampire Diaries writing.

I molded the shape of the blood from red fondant and stuck that and the key on to the cake with edible food glue.

You can't really see it on the photo, but I lined the white fondant to look like pages using a blunt plastic knife and I also tinted the pages using a bit of orange and black food colouring mixed with water, just to make them look a bit more real.

I covered the board in red fondant, and then molded and apple and candle from fondant, these are from other book covers. 

I finished it off by spraying the whole thing in edible glaze spray to give it a shiny book cover look.

I was really worried about doing this cake, but it actually all went really smoothly, there's a few little things I'm not 100% happy with, but mostly I am really pleased with how it turned out.


The Cake




The book cover I was copying


No comments:

Post a Comment